NS-Link™ Device Drivers
DeviceMaster® NS-Link device drivers support the DeviceMaster family. NS-Link device drivers are available for Windows and Linux operating systems.
Install the NS-Link device driver to use DeviceMaster serial ports as COM or tty ports. You can use the Windows® driver to also set up secure COM ports. If you install an NS-Link device driver, you can also configure the ports for socket mode or serial tinneling using the web interface.
NS-Link Driver Features
DeviceMaster ports can be shared by installing the NS-Link device driver on each system that you want to permit access to the serial ports
You can implement the port sharing feature in several ways:
- Share the same port with multiple systems (only one system can have an open connection to a port at any given time
- Set up multiple systems to share specific ports on the DeviceMaster
You can implement port sharing to configure redundant PCs or fail-over protection, which does not require any additional driver configuration tasks.
Note: Most applications do not release ports, so you may not be able to use port sharing across multiple systems with the same port. Also, if using port sharing, make sure that two computers do not try to access the same port at the same time. Only one computer can control a given port at a given time.
- Ability to configure the NS-Link driver to operate in MAC or IP Mode.
- Provides a Keep Alive Timeout option to set the amount of time in seconds that the DeviceMaster waits until it closes this connection and frees all the ports associated with it
- Contains a TCP Timeout Multiplier option to modify two timers used in TCP/IP socket communications
- Includes Scan Rate option so you can adjust latency for time-critical applications
- Override and Lock Baud Rate
- Wait on Physical Transmission before Completing Write
NS-Link Features for Windows
In addition to the NS-Link features supported by all drivers, the NS-Link driver for Windows has these features:
Ability to reboot the DeviceMaster from the Comtrol Drivers Management Console
- NS-Link driver configuration is provided through the Comtrol Drivers Management Console. The Comtrol Drivers Management Console allows you to browse all installed and supported Comtrol products in one place and apply any changes quickly.
The NS-Link driver supports these device-level options:
- Supports secure COM port configuration when configured for IP Mode
- User-friendly Device and Port Names
- Supports the ability to save and load NS-Link driver configuration files so that you can save the Device Settings for use on other DeviceMasters or to archive a copy of your environment’s settings
- Advanced support which displays device status, PC network interface details, and device network interface details
- Supports these port-level options:
Transmit Data Timeout on Port Close
- Map 2 Stop Bits to 1
- Emulate Modem Hardware RING signal
- Block Plug-n-Play Search for Attached Serial Devices
- Clone Port settings
- Set specific COM port number and optionally, renumber all subsequent ports
NS-Link for Linux
Typically, the latest Linux kernels with release candidate support are supported. In addition, we provide support for previous kernel versions.